You may access basic services provided through Office 365 system by visiting http://heelmail.unc.edu or http://office.unc.edu (click on the Mail icon). The following information is to acquaint you with the basic features that are offered through the Outlook Web Application (OWA).
Getting Started with OWA
Before logging into your Office 365 account, you will need to sign in with your email@example.com as the username and onyen password.
Upon logging into Outlook Web App, your Office365 mail inbox is displayed and the available folders within your account are presented within the menu on the left of the screen. The horizontal menu bar, above the listed messages, presents the available options for working with your messages.
Within the Outlook Web App you may:
- Check for messages
- Compose a new message
- Move, delete, recover deleted messages
- Mark messages as read and unread
- Note: The checkbox next to the message(s) that are to be manipulated must be checked.
Recovering Deleted Items
Right clicking the Deleted Items folder will open a menu. Click on Recover Deleted Items which allows you to recover the items that have been deleted. These items will be available for 30 days.
Clicking the calendar on the lower left reveals the current day and any meetings scheduled for the day.
- Scheduling an appointment, by default, only schedules time on your personal calendar. You may add attendees to the event (appointment or meeting) by clicking in the ‘Search’ field and enter the name of the ‘Attendees:‘.
- The Add Skype meeting will add a link to Skype meeting in your calendar invite. Attendees may use this and use Skype for Business to attend the meeting from remote locations.
- Within the current available options, the only distinction between Appointments and Meeting Request is the inclusion of attendees. Adding attendees to an appointment turns the appointment into a meeting.
Your personal contacts within your Office 365 account are listed in this section. You may create and manage contact folders, to differentiate sets of contacts, by clicking the ‘People’ menu on the lower left corner of the screen and then click on New in the upper left corner.
You can choose to Create a Contact, Contact list, or Group.
Clicking the Tasks menu on the lower left reveals the emails that are flagged and available tasks to complete. Tasks are a way to organize your email and make certain email requests stand out as important emails. Tasks allow you to categorize emails by colors.
- Offline Settings
- You can set this so you can use the computer offline.
- Set the color of how Outlook will look. Default is UNC Blue theme.
- Turn Notifications on or off.
- Your app settings:
- Office 365
- Set office 365 settings such as Theme, Start Page, Notifications, and Software
- Set the Mail options.
- Set the Calendar options
- You can connect Social Networks or import contacts.
- Office 365
Ensure that any changes to your options remain in place by clicking the Save button before navigating to another section.