Cable TV (CATV) and HDTV FAQs

The following FAQs pertain to the UNC-CH Cable TV (CATV) service. This service is primarily designed for on-campus residents, although some departments may subscribe to the service as well. The service is managed by Information Technology Services.

Where can I find a list of the available Cable TV channels?

An updated listing of the channels offered by UNC can be found on the Channel Lineup page.  Note that this lineup drastically changed on 12/17/2014 after a major CATV upgrade.  If your channels don’t match the lineup, you will need to rescan your channels.

What do I need to connect to the campus Cable TV service?

You will need a standard Coax cable to connect your TV or QAM-capable TV Tuner to our CATV system. Most all HDTVs have a QAM tuner included, but you should consult the manual to know for sure. If your TV doesn’t have a QAM tuner, you will need to purchase a separate QAM tuner box such as the iView3500. You can purchase this item or any similar TV Tuner at the store of your choice.

How can I see what shows are playing?

You can view the Channel Guide by tuning to Channel 3-1.

Are High-Definition (HD) channels available?

All of our channels are digital and some of them are HD.  See our Channel Lineup for specifics.

How do I view channels on the UNC Campus Cable system?

In order to view these channels, your TV or QAM TV Tuner must be setup to view CATV (Cable TV) instead of ANT or Air (Antenna). Then you need to let your TV auto-scan or auto-program the channels. See your owner’s manual for specific directions as they vary from manufacturer and model.

Can I view cable channels on my computer?

Yes, you will need a QAM-capable TV tuner that connects to your computer.

How do I request a specific channel or a premium channel (HBO, pay-per-view) be added to the lineup?

There is no way to add specific channels for an individual. The Residence Hall Association makes channel recommendations on behalf of all on-campus residents. You should submit your feedback to your local representative. A department may be able to request additional channels as well, but contacting ITS directly.  There would be a cost for the equipment and the ongoing service fees.

Where do I get support for the Cable TV service?

If you experience problems or need help setting up your Cable TV, contact the ITS Response Center. The majority of problems related to the Cable TV service can be resolved by configuring the television to rescan the channels. The directions for rescanning vary depending on the make and model of your TV. We recommend referring to the manual to find the specific instructions. If your signal is snowy or you’re unable to tune the HD channels, then the signal level for your room/floor/building may need to be adjusted.