- CCI offers a consistently high discount level
- CCI model computers are always 40+ percent off and are often 50% off the retail price
- All CCI computers can be repaired on campus by the Computer Repair Center
- Generally repair of CCI computers is the fastest available (less than 1 business day)
- CCI computers come with a software load that is tailor made for the UNC Chapel Hill computing environment. See this link for a list of included software.
In addition, the University, faculty and students receive other benefits from purchases made through the CCI contract. These include:
- Funding for Instructional Innovation Grants for UNC Chapel Hill Faculty
- Access to the research being conducted at Lenovo’s Innovation Centers Worldwide
- Donated laptops in support of the Carolina Covenant program
- A pool of laptops that students may borrow while their CCI laptops are being repaired
Warranty, Insurance and Repair
Note: Laptop batteries come with a one-year warranty.
Safeware is one of the most recognized providers of comprehensive insurance policies and extended service plans for computers and has provided laptop insurance for students with CCI laptops since 2000.
Safeware’s insurance programs provide coverage for Accidental Damage, Screen Breaks, Liquid Damage (including Submersion) and Power Surges. Safeware insurance policies also cover perils that cannot be addressed by extended warranties or service contracts. These perils include: Theft, Robbery, Burglary, Vandalism, Fire, Flood, Lightning, Wind, Hail and more.
Contact Safeware for additional information and a quote for coverage.
If it is determined that your computer needs a hardware repair then you have two choices.
1. Contact Lenovo to find an authorized Lenovo service provider in your area. Lenovo can be contacted at their hardware support number (1-800-426-7378) or their website (http://www.lenovo.com).
Contact Apple to find an authorized Apple service provider in your area. Apple can be contacted that their hardware support number (1-800-692-7753) or their website (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1434).
2. You can bring your computer to one of the ITS Service desk’s. For hours and location see this link.
3. You can mail or ship your computer to:
ITS Response Center
ATTN: DROP OFF
203 South Rd.
Undergraduate Library, Room 22
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
If we are going to ship the computer back to you, a personal check made out to ITS must be included. Please leave the note section blank so we can add your ticket number to the check.
Within NC – $20
Outside of NC – $25
Please include your name and PID in the package. Also include a description of the issues you are having. It would be a good idea to backup your data in case a hard drive replacement or reimage needs to be done. If you approve of hard drive replacement or re-image, please put that in the description of issues as well your preferred operating system (Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10).
We highly recommend that you insure your laptop during shipping. Your insurance and accidental damage coverage do not cover the laptop while during shipping.