Why Use Pine to Delete Messages?
The most efficient way to clear many messages from an inbox or subfolder is to use Pine. Because this email program does not have a graphic interface like Webmail, Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, speed is improved and less application overhead is required.
Instructions for Deleting and Expunging Messages
- Log into Pine and open your inbox. Note that each message is numbered, which will help you to select the ones you want to remove.
- Press the semicolon key (;) to select messages.
- You will be prompted to choose your selection criteria. If you want to delete all of the messages in your inbox, press the a key for ALL . If you are not selecting all of the messages, press the n key for NUMBER and enter the number sequence. For example, you can enter 1-4 to select messages 1 through 4. To add others, type a comma, then enter the next number or block. As another example, entering 1-4, 8, 10-13 will select messages 1 through 4, message 8 and messages 10 – 13.
- Press the a key to start the APPLY command. You will be prompted to enter the command to apply. Press d key to choose DELETE and mark all of the selected messages for deletion.
If the inbox is more than 50 MB, it may take a few minutes to completely select all of the messages. As the command is running, the inbox will display a “busy” status message.
- Press the x key to EXPUNGE the messages. REMEMBER: This will permanently remove all messages that were selected for deletion! Again, if the inbox is more than 50 MB, permanently expunging the messages may take 5 – 10 minutes, depending on its total size.
- After the messages have been removed, the screen will display an empty inbox, along with the number of messages expunged: Figure 5 – Empty Inbox