Table of Contents
Click here for supported printer locations.
Pharos, known as CCI printing client is the software package offered by the Carolina Computing Initiative that tracks your print plan funds. This package also provides a print management solution to UNC that enables you to: print less, reduce printing costs, and enhance printing security. The CCI printing client is installed on all ITS Labs computers, ITS Labs printing release stations and is available to be downloaded on your personal computer. The CCI printing client is also installed in the Virtual Lab.
All fee-paying students with no flags on their accounts receive a printing allotment issued from the ITS Print Plan account each semester. This allotment is applied to your One Card and used toward printing in supported locations.
The following are the number of pages you are allotted per semester.
Your new allotment will be assigned at the beginning of each semester.
- In the application to be printed, select File < Print.
- At the “Name” prompt in the Print pop-up window, select “ITS Print “Queue” or “CCI_Printing.” Printing is automatically set to print double-sided. If you would like to make any changes to your print job (i.e.: number of copies, print only on 1 page, etc.) do it now. Click on the “OK” button at the bottom of the window. The Pop-up Client window will then be displayed.
- From this window, enter your Onyen. (If your Onyen is typed incorrectly, your job will not be sent to the print queue). Enter a descriptive name for your job (this name will be displayed when you retrieve your print job), and then click “OK.” This action will submit your print job to a print queue under your ONYEN. (A pop-up window displays in the bottom right-hand corner of screen, displaying the cost of your print job.)
- Your print job will remain in the queue for 60 minutes before automatically being deleted.
- You may go to any lab supported location (residence halls are restricted to residents).
- Next to each printer is a computer which has the CCI printing client software loaded and is known as the printing release station.
- Enter your ONYEN and password to log on to the station.
- You will be asked to “Please swipe your card”. Swipe your UNC One Card or UNC Guest Card with the magnetic strip facing the light on the card swipe. This step pays for your printing.
- The Releasing Print Jobs popup window displays the jobs submitted and date queued under your Onyen. Select the job(s) and go to the bottom buttons and click the Print or Delete button.
- Log off the print release station and pick up your document(s).
Yes. Click here for CCI printing client installation and printing instructions.
Can I send print jobs from my personal computer, mobile device or tablet using Virtual Lab to a CCI printing release station?
Yes. ITS Labs Virtual Lab has the CCI printing client installed. Click here for printing instructions.
Print jobs are automatically deleted from a print queue after 1 hour of being submitted from your computer.
There are 2 color printers that can be used. One is in the Undergraduate Library (UL) and the other is in the Health Science Library. You must request and print your print job from the printing station next to the color printers in the library. The print queue for printing to the color printer is “ITS Color Print Queue.” Color Printing is automatically set to print one-sided and costs $0.30 per page.
You can also install the CCI Color print queue so that you can print color from your laptop. TO print using color, you must first install the CCI Color Queue. You must install both the CCI Color Queue and the Black & White Queue if you wish to print to both print queues. Once you install the Color Queue, you must select it when you print by selecting it in the Print Options. If you print to the normal CCI Printing Queue, you will not be able to print your document on the color printers.
Non fee-paying students, faculty, and staff pay from their One Card’s Expense Account.
Your balance, in dollars, is displayed at the release station after you swipe your One Card. You may also log in here on the One Card website to view your balance.
No. Printing allotments do not roll over.
No. CCI printing can only use one print plan per print job. Your CCI Print Plan must go to exactly $0.00 before you can print from your expense account. For example, if you only have 2 pre-paid pages left and you submit a job that is 10 pages, you must break your print job into 2 separate jobs. You must send 2 pages to print from the ITS print plan and the remaining 8 pages to print from your expense account.
If you use color printing and have a remaining balance of $0.05 on your CCI Print Plan, you must contact the One Card Office (919-962-8024 or go to www.onecard.unc.edu to clear the print plan before you can print using your expense account.
Click here for refund instructions.
If you install a network printer on a computer using Microsoft Vista, along with the CCI printing client for Vista, sending a print job to the network printer will cause the print spooler to stop working and all printers to disappear. Currently the CCI printing client does not have a solution for this, and uninstalling the printing client is the only way to get the network printers to function properly.