The CCI Printing service enables users to send print jobs to ITS and resident-hall computing labs from their personal computer. This document instructs Mac users on how to install and configure this remote printing service. (Note: Students cannot queue documents to residence halls other than their own.)
The first step—downloading and installing the Pharos Popup print queue—is identical for all Mac operating systems (OS). The second step—configuration—varies with OS version. Be sure to follow configuration instructions specific to your OS. If you are unsure of your OS, open the Apple menu and select About This Mac.
Use These Instructions if you have Mac OS 10.6, 10.7, or 10.8
The CCI Printing Client
To download the CCI Printing client visit shareware.unc.edu and find the entry for CCI Printing. In the drop-down list choose the version of software appropriate to your operating system. If you are using Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion then please choose the 10.6.x – 10.7.x version of the CCI Printing client.
You will need to supply your Onyen and Onyen password to download the CCI Printing client. After the file has been downloaded, double-click the file to open the installer, and then double-click on the installer file to begin installation.
Once the installation has finished simply reboot your computer. You should now be able to choose CCI Printing from the choice of printer options available to you when you print.
Use These Instructions if you have Mac OS 10.4 or 10.5
1. Log in to the computer with an administrator-level account.
2. Download <Popup.dmg>, the disk image for Pharos Popup.
3. Open <Popup.dmg> to create a disk image in Finder. The disk image will contain the Popup installer, <Popup.pkg>.
4. Navigate to the Finder and double-click <Popup.pkg> to initiate the Standard Install procedure.
5. The Standard Install will ask you to confirm the default destination for the install (Startup Disk) and to enter your administrator credentials.
6. Click Install .
Pharos Popup will now be running on your Mac. It will be enabled automatically on logging in to the machine.
1. Double-click on the Printer Setup Utility, located at Applications>Utilities>Printer Setup Utility.
2. The Printer List window will open. Select the Add Printer button in the toolbar. Next, hold down the Option key on the keyboard while clicking on the More Printers… button.
3. Select Advanced from the first popup menu.
4. Select Pharos Print Server from the Device popup menu.
5. In the Device Name field, enter: CCI Printing.
6. In the Device URL field, enter:
7. From the Printer Model popup menu, select HP LaserJet 9050. Click Add. The new Popup queue will now show up in the list of printers.
MacOSX10.5 and MacOSX10.6
1. Open the menu and select System Preferences. Select the Print & Fax icon.
2. Select + from the Print & Fax menu.
3. Hold down the Control key on the keyboard and click anywhere on the toolbar. From the popup menu that appears, select Customize Toolbar….
4. A menu will appear with the header “Drag your favorite items to the toolbar…” Drag the Advanced icon to the toolbar on the Add Printer dialog. (The below screenshot shows both dialog menus and a red arrow demonstrating the drag-and-drop path.) Click Done to close the customization dialog.
5. On the Add Printer menu toolbar, select .
6. The uppermost dropdown menu will be labeled Type. Select Pharos Print Server. In the textbox labeled URL, type: popup://auxprint2.aux-services.unc.edu:515/CCI_Printing
7. In the Name textbox, type: CCI Printing
8. Leaving the Location textbox blank, open the Print Using dropdown and launch Select Printer Software…. The new popup menu has a search box, in which you will type HP LaserJet 9050. Highlight the exact matching result. Click OK.
9. The Installable Options menu will appear; its contents should be identical to those in the below screenshot.
10. The Print & Fax menu will now reappear, with CCI Printing now appearing in your list of printers.
To remove Popup 8.1 from a client machine, run the Pharos Uninstaller:
1. Launch the Uninstaller application using the navigation path: Your.Hard.Disk>Library>Application Support>Pharos>Utilities>Uninstaller.
2. Select Pharos Popup and any other Pharos components that you would like to uninstall, then click Continue.
3. A list of the selected items will be shown. Click Continue.
4. Enter your administrator credentials.
5. Click Done.
1. Port 515.
2. Port 28203.