OpenAFS is the open source release of the Andrew File System (AFS). It is a global, distributed file system used around the world and is available for a wide range of operating systems including AIX, Linux, MacIntosh, Microsoft Windows, and Solaris.
OpenAFS allows sharing of disk space among hosts by letting all AFS participants share one logical file space. The root level directory is /afs, with Internet domains, known as cells, descending from there. UNC’s openafs cell is named isis.unc.edu.
Follow these steps to load the openafs package:
- Go to the Package Space Local Downloads page and click on the openafs link.
- Click on the link for the openafs version you wish to download.
- Follow the installation instructions on the download page.
The locally available client downloads have been tailored to run in the UNC environment. Alternatively, openafs clients can be downloaded directly from openafs.org. Note: Due to performance issues, we recommend running the latest openafs 1.4.* release for Linux Unix hosts.
- The latest version available for Linux is openafs 188.8.131.52.
- The latest version available for Solaris is openafs 1.6.1.