This document is written to take a person through the UNC-Secure Configuration or Enrollment process on Android 4.x.x device.
- The instruction sliders below are written based on Android 4.4.x (using a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone) and 4.2.x (using Samsung Galaxy S4 phone). Some devices may look a little different but should follow the same process.
- Android 2.x.x users please use the UNC-PSK Configuration for Android 4.x.x instructions.
- If you run into trouble please call us at 919-962-4357 or come visit us at one of our Walk-in locations (click here for hours). Students also may visit a RCC in their Dorm (Click here to look up RCC).
Note: If you are using another Operating System other than Android, then see the document Connecting to the UNC Network – Getting Started to select your Operating System or device.
In order to configure Android operating system to access the UNC-Secure wireless network.
Click the navigation arrows to scroll through images for automated setup.
Connecting an Android:
Automated Setup (Text Only)
- Go to Settings.
- Choose Wi-Fi.
- Connect the device to UNC-Setup.
- Tap on Connect if prompted.
- Open the Mobile Internet Browser.
- You should be taken to the site http://enrollment.net.unc.edu. If not automatically taken to this site or prompted to login then please manually navigate to the link above.
- Tap on Continue.
- Tap on the Faculty / Student /Staff Portal.
- Choose the Preferred option: Setup for UNC-Secure Access.
- Tap the Continue button.
- Login with Onyen and Password.
- Input a description (i.e Samsung Galaxy S5, can be lowercase).
- Choose Option 2.
- By default the Direct Download should be in the drop down menu.
- Tap on Install App button.
- Open the downloaded file (XpressConnect.apk).
- Choose Package Installer.
- You may be prompted with a Security Warning to allow installation of applications from Unknown Sources.
- Tap Settings button to be taken to Security Settings.
- You will need to change this Security Setting by checking the box by Unknown Sources.
- Once this set you will see a confirmation prompt.
- Tap on the OK button to accept the change.
- Tap Install on XpressConnect Prompt.
- Tap Done on XpressConnect Prompt.
- Tap Configure Device button.
- Choose the App XpressConnect.
- Tap OK.
- If you do not have a Pattern, PIN, or Password setup you will need to setup one of these. This is required for the enrollment process and connection to UNC-Secure.
- If you remove the PIN or Password lock after the UNC-Secure enrollment process. Removal of the lock will remove all certificates and will break UNC-Secure connection. You will have to start over on the UNC-Secure enrollment process and re-enroll to be able to connect.
- Tap OK to be taken to Screen Unlock Settings.
- Your Device should be setup on UNC Secure.
- Choose Mobile Internet Browser (if you have multiple browsers installed).