This document is written to take a person through the UNC-Secure Configuration or Enrollment process on Android 4.x.x device. The instructions are written based on Android 4.2.x and using a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone. Some devices may look a little different but should follow the same process. If you run into trouble please call us at 919-962-4357 or come visit us at one of our Walk-in locations (click here for hours). Students also may visit a RCC in their Dorm (Click here to look up RCC).
Note: If you are using another Operating System other than Android 4.x.x, then see the document Connecting to the UNC Network – Getting Started to select your Operating System or device.
In order to configure Android operating system to access the UNC-Secure wireless network.
Connecting an Android:
Automated Setup (Text Only)
- Press the Menu button.
- Choose Settings.
- Choose Wi-Fi.
- Connect the device to UNC-Setup.
- Click on Connect.
- Open the Mobile Internet Browser.
- You should be taken to the site http://enrollment.net.unc.edu. If not automatically taken to this site or prompted to login then please manually navigate to the link above.
- Click on Continue.
- Click on the Faculty / Student /Staff Portal.
- Choose the Best Setup for UNC-Secure Access.
- Click the Continue button.
- Login with Onyen and Password.
- Input a description (i.e Samsung Galaxy S4, can be lowercase).
- Choose Option 2.
- By default the Direct Download should be in the drop down menu.
- Click on Install App button.
- Open the downloaded file (XpressConnect.apk).
- Choose Package Installer.
- You may be prompted with a Security Warning to allow installation of applications from Unknown Sources.
- Click Settings button to be taken to Security Settings.
- You will need to change this Security Setting by checking the box by Unknown Sources.
- Once this set you will see a confirmation prompt.
- Click on the OK button to accept the change.
- Click Install on XpressConnect Prompt.
- Click Done on XpressConnect Prompt.
- Click Configure Device button.
- Choose the App XpressConnect.
- Click OK.
- If you do not have a Pattern, PIN, or Password setup you will need to setup one of these.
- Click OK to be taken to Screen Unlock Settings.
- Click on OK on the next 6 prompts.
- Your Device should be setup on UNC Secure.
- Choose Mobile Internet Browser (if you have multiple browsers installed).
Manual Setup (Text Only)
- Go to Settings and Wi-Fi Settings.
- Push and hold on UNC-Secure.
- Input the following settings:
- EAP method: TTLS
- Phase 2 authentication: PAP
- CA certificate: (unspecified)
- User certificate: (unspecified)
- Identity: onyen
- Anonymous Identity: blank
- Password: onyen password
- Tap Save.