Once you have created your Onyen, most services that require an Onyen to access will be available to you immediately. Please visit What is an Onyen? for more information about the Onyen. However, there are a few Onyen Services that will not be available for several hours. You will need to sign up for Email Service (please visit Office 365 User Guide), and logging on to the research and statapps platforms. Please note that you will not be able to log into Sakai until after 12:00 noon of the next business day.
How to create an onyen
- Find a computer or device that is connected to the Internet, open a web browser, and go to the Onyen Services page.
- Click on the Create or Manage Onyen.
- Click on the Create an Onyen link on the left-hand side.
- You will need to have a Guest ID or UNC PID Number in order to create an Onyen. If you do not have a Guest ID, go to What is a UNC Guest ID? document for more information on how to obtain a Guest ID. If you do not have a UNC PID number, go to How to Get A PID for more information on obtaining one.
- Click on Create an Onyen button.
- You will be prompted to ask If you have a Guest ID or not. If you have a Guest ID then click on Yes. If you do not have a Guest ID but you do have a PID then please click No.
- If you have a Guest ID then you will be taken to Single Sign-On (SSO) site. Login to SSO with Guest ID and Password.
- On Self Identification screen please fill in the required information (PID, Legal First Name, Legal Last Name, Gender, and Birthday). Click on Submit.
- Read the Onyen Terms Of Agreement and click the button at the bottom of the page if you agree to accept and abide by the Onyen Terms of Agreement (you cannot create an Onyen if you do not agree). Click on the radio button Yes I Agree.
- Enter an Onyen and click on Continue.
- You will be prompted to confirm the creation of your Onyen. Click Yes to confirm. Note: If the Onyen exists then the system will not allow you to create that specific Onyen but will allow you to choose a different Onyen.
- Once the Onyen is successfully created then you will be prompted with a Security Information Request. Click on OK.
- Please read the Security Information Policy Attestation then click on I Agree. Otherwise, you will not be able to create an Onyen.
- On the Alert Carolina screen choose an option and click on Next.
- On the Challenge-Response Questions screen, you will need to set up at least 5 questions or more. If you have you previously set up the Challenge Response you will need to set up 2 additional questions. Click the Answer button to fill in the answers to the related question. Click Next when finished.
- Now you may set a password for your Onyen. The Save button will highlight when the password meets the criteria.
- Once you have successfully matched the Password Criteria you will be taken to a confirmation page that will confirm the Onyen has been created and that the password has been set. Click on O.K. to close the page and return to the home screen.