Table of Contents
Your CCI computer comes setup with a means of updating the software on your computer when it is started the first time. This is done using a product called ImageUltra. In order to ensure that you take full advantage of the options ImageUltra offers you as well as get the latest updates, Microsoft Windows patches and Microsoft Office patches please follow the steps outlined in this document.
1. Connect your computer to a power source and an active network port.
- If you cannot connect your computer to an active network port please follow the directions for Initial Setup Without Network Connectivity.
2. Register your computer for DHCP.
- This can be done using your Onyen at https://onyen.unc.edu. Choose DHCP Registration under Other Services.
- DHCP registrations can take up to 20 minutes to complete. Please make sure you have allowed enough time for your registration to complete before proceeding.
3. Turn your computer on.
4. Choose the appropriate User Group menu options.
- You will be presented with a list of options. You should choose the options that apply to the person who will be the primary user of this computer.
5. Confirm your menu choices and choose Start Installation.
6. Be patient. This process can take 15 – 60 minutes to complete or longer depending on the menu choices selected and the number of updates and patches that have been released recently.
7. Begin using your computer.
While your computer should have the latest versions of software, settings and Microsoft Windows and Office patches available through ImageUltra, it is always a good idea to run Windows Update after your machine is built. If you have additional questions or need assistance visit https://help.unc.edu/, call 962-HELP or contact your computer support personnel.
We strongly recommend that you follow the Initial Setup Directions as outlined above and setup your CCI computer while connected to the UNC-Chapel Hill data network. This will give you a computer with the latest updates, patches, and software versions. However, if this is not possible you can complete the initial setup of your CCI computer without being connected to the data network by simply not connecting the computer to an active network port in Step 1 of the Initial Setup Directions and skipping Step 2.
You will experience a two minute delay when the Initializing TCP/IP via DHCP… message appears. After this delay choose the Reboot and Skip Network Synchronization option. Be sure to run Windows Update or Microsoft Update after the build process is finished to get the latest patches and updates for your machine.