UNC will support hosting ‘non-UNC.EDU’ domains on campus DNS servers if these domains are for UNC related departments and organizations and comply with the following UNC policies as well as the following:
Take the following steps to register your non-UNC.EDU domain:
- You must first reserve and register your non-unc.edu domain at a registration vendor (registrar) like Network Solutions, GoDaddy or a similar provider. There will be a charge for registering and maintaining your domain registration.
- Use the information listed below for the Technical Contact information only, and the listed DNS nameservers for your domain. This information must be public in order to register your domain with UNC DNS servers (do not use WhoIs privacy services).
UNC Hostmaster (UH1409-ORG)
The University of North Carolina
440 W. Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3420, USA
FAX (919) 445-0400
(Please note: Domains bought from Network Solutions can use the NIC Handle UH1409-ORG. Other registration services may require or provide a different code for the technical contact. If a new handle is needed you should include this information with your pending non-unc.edu domain request.)
Domain nameservers in listed order:
- Create a brief description of how your new domain will serve the mission of The University of North Carolina.
- Submit a help ticket using the Online Help Request requesting to register your domain with campus DNS servers. Include the brief description of your new domain from Step 3 and any IP address or hostname that will be associated with your domain.
- Be sure to list UNC Hostmaster as technical contact for all domains to be hosted in campus DNS.
- UNC Hostmaster should only be used for the ‘Technical Contact’ role forn your domain registration. Your ‘Administrative’ an ‘Registration’ contacts should be you or a representative of your department or organization.
- You should contact ITS IP Services when making changes to your registration that may generate request so that IP Services will
- if you have listed ‘Fasterpass.its.unc.edu’ in any ‘non-unc.edu’ domains you may currently have registered, please remove it from the list