Microsoft Teams is one of the features offered as part of the Microsoft Office 365 Collaboration Suite. The service is available to faculty, staff and students.
What are Teams?
Teams is a single application that brings together your team’s conversations, meetings, files, and notes to facilitate collaboration.
Microsoft has published a lot of helpful content to help get you started:
How do I access Teams?
Access Teams from your web browser: http://office.unc.edu.
Click the Teams icon (circled in red below). The Teams application will open in your browser. At the top of the application you will see an option to Download the desktop application. We recommend downloading it as there are more features and functions in the desktop version of Teams.
If you are not a member of any Teams, you will see this welcome screen:
If you are a member of a Team, the view changes slightly. Your Teams will be listed. Example circled in red:
How are Teams and Office 365 Groups related?
Teams are tied to Groups. All Teams must have an Office 365 Group but Groups do not require Teams. It is suggested that you create Teams for your Groups to get the added functionality.
How do I add a Team to an existing Group?
Instructions can be found here: How to add a Team to an existing Office 365 Group
Links to training and help documents:
- ITS Help Document Collection for OneDrive (Indviduals or Groups)
- ITS Help Document - Office 365 Frequently Asked Questions
- ITS Help Document - OneDrive User Guide
- ITS Help Document - OneDrive Getting Started
- Microsoft OneDrive Support Site - https://support.office.com/en-us/onedrive
- Microsoft Training Video (2 minutes) - OneDrive for Business Quick Start
- Check out UNC’s Office 365 site. There are a lot of resources to help you become familiar with Office 365.